One Red Thread Equine Connection, Inc. is a ground-based program that focuses on connecting with horses through activities that help develop academic, social, emotional and life skills. There is no riding involved. Time spent on the ground with a horse is translated into a meaningful partnership and learning opportunity. By hosting Horse Powered Reading® literacy programs, book clubs, life skills activities, field trips, workshops, clinics, themed events and more, we provide endless possibilities to connect with horses and people.
Our groundwork activities with horses help children and adults of all ages and abilities develop creative problem solving, teamwork, responsibility, trust, respect, resilience and confidence. We also work on communication skills, leadership, non-verbal communication, setting boundaries and emotional regulation skills. Our certified staff and trained
volunteers assist participants in a safe, accepting, fun environment.
• Horses are sentient beings, capable of sensing and feeling, just like us.
• Horses have distinct personalities and defined social roles within the herd, allowing us to identify and form connections with them.
• Horses help us reflect on how we approach relationships, learning and challenges.
• Because they are prey animals, horses are extremely sensitive to their environment. They react to our body language and cues. That can give insight into what we are experiencing emotionally.
• Horses allow for movement in learning and can help us learn to build connections.
• Horses are extremely sensitive to the actions of humans and are honest in the way they react to situations.
• Horses have an incredible ability to pick up on our non-verbal behavior.
• Horses will only bond with someone when they feel the person is being authentic.
• Horses can help teach us how to refocus our attention to responsibility, accountability, healthier coping mechanisms
and self-regulation techniques.
• Horses have a unique sensitivity to people’s feelings and can act as an emotional mirror, reflecting our emotions and